Electrolytic Capacitors: What You Need To Know
This short article will discuss why electrolytic capacitors fail and steps you can take to prevent or prolong the timeframe before this happens. We will not “reinvent the wheel” in this article since much has been written on this subject. Where applicable, I’ll include links to information the reader should review.
Some things to know:
- Capacitors degrade overtime “in the field” even if the circuit card or module they are installed on, is NOT in service! I know this is hard to believe, but it’s true.
- Capacitors are used to maintain DC voltages constant, when they start to degrade, the voltage can change!
- If not replaced, they will eventually fail which could cause other system problems.
What To Look For:
As you can see on this electrolytic capacitor, it has started to “bulge” on the top. This is indicative of an over pressure inside the cap due to aging. This capacitor is bad! Replace it!
What A User Can Do To Extend Capacitor Life:
- Keep out of service components stored in a temperature controlled area.
- When installed, make sure all installations are operating within temperature specs, preferably at the low-end.
- Inspect Capacitors for signs of aging like bulging frequently during outage periods
For More Detailed Information, Some Useful Links Are:
For more information on how Powergenics improves power supplies, click here.
How Powergenics Improves this MK V Power Supply
DS200TCPSG1A Power Supplies fail for many reasons:
- Age (even if they are just sitting on the inventory shelf)
- Overheating (due to a faulty cabinet or panel cooling fans)
- Dirty environment
- Faulty repairs (mostly caused by poor quality replacement parts)
- Poor installation (Damage that might not be evident right away)
For a more complete explanation, watch this short video below:
Want to make your control system run smoother?
Powergenics Launches New Mobile App
Powergenics, a leading supplier of Industrial electronic card repairs and replacement card solutions to power generation and industrial customers, has just launched a new mobile app for iPhone and Android smart phones.
This app will enable customers to communicate more quickly and get answers from Powergenics more easily.
Customers will be able to quickly request quotes, see what products Powergenics supports, and send a text, call or email Powergenics directly from the app!
In addition, a link to Powergenics website from it’s logo and Facebook page has ben provided.